Saturday, December 27, 2008

Today, I spent the day....

taking care of my friend Bernhard. I have to be careful what I say because one day he might read this. We had dinner last night and the conversation was absolutely excellent. He has told me that he will join Facebook to keep track of me. He has a bacterica and the doctor had to come and see him this morning because he started running a fever around midnight last night. I really like talking to B so I spent the day talking to him and trying, in my broken spanish, to get him food. He was happy in the end so i guess i succeeded.

Speaking of men. Apparently I am very appreciated here in Ecuador. I can´t tell you the number of winks and whistles that I have gotten as we have traveled. Today, our guide for horseback riding told me that I am beautiful and that I make his heart go pitter patter. So, I gave him a hug and allowed him to kiss my cheek. Yes, it does sound bad, the kiss, but hey, Jaime was a cutie and he was very nice. I sure wish I had brushed up on my Spanish verbs before I came. However, I have mustered enough to be dangerous in the following way. I can often get my point across but then the response will be 3 very quickly spoken sentences which I have no freakin idea what they are telling me....heeeee.

Got the jungle lodge ass smell out of my clothes and luggage. This was accomplished by sending my laundry out to be washed yesterday. Did I mention that if you are ever in Ecuador and someone says it´s a 4 hour hike downhill, or a 1 hour bike ride downhill. or a 2 hour horseride, they are lying. Where ever there is a downhill in Ecuador there are 3 god damn up hills that will follow. Don´t think oh up hill, I can do that. Trust me you can´t. Because, it is not up hill it is up a f´n mountain in soft sand or slippery rock. Trust no one and believe nothing. Oh, and when you say to the tour operator, can you pick my up at the hotel for my horseback riding and he says yes. What he means is, I will send someone on foot to walk the 10 blocks with you to the place where we keep the horses. Then you will mount the horses and ride directly past the hotel where you are staying. So, what should have been said is, can you bring a motorized vehicle, with 4 tires, at least a 4 cylinder engine, minimum 2 doors, minimum 4 seats to pick me up at my hotel. Totally my fault, couldn´t have knowñ until the lady walked out the door and said, it is just a 5 minute walk this way, which, if I have to say it, turned into a 30 minute walk 1/2 way across Banos.

I bought a cool shirt today that has the world with a stick figure sitting on top. Everyone that has seen it says the stick figure looks like me the day I stuck my head out the window of the bus when we were going 80. Haaaaa.......I shall wear this t'shirt with pride.

Well, since I cannot get the wifi to connect in my room, my 10 minutes have been exceeded on this computer and somone might be waiting. Tomorrow, I leave Banos at 8am and take a 8-10 hour busy ride to Cuenca. Don´t know about internet there but, I will be in touch when I can.

One more thing, thus far, Banos is my favorite city of those that we have seen. It seems to be the city that never sleeps but I was told today that many travel from around Ecuador to spend the holidays here. But, I love just blending in and no one seems to care that we are here. Very few people even take a second look. Riding horses today, people were so eager to speak and be friendly. I love this and I spoke to everyone. My riding mates did not, but that´s their decision. I love happy, friendly people. :)

I am still running amok in Ecuador and LOVING every minute of it. Bernhard has invited me to come to Austria and have a look around so who knows what 2009 will hold. I think he is a pretty neat guy! Really makes me laugh.

3 comments:

  1. It's hotter than sin here - so much for winter.

    Hope it's nice down there!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Your posts are great and I'm glad you are "loving every minute"! The monkey story in your previous post (I read both tonight) was hilarious. Hmmm...yes, I see a trip to Austria next year in my crystal ball. Hope Bernhard is feeling better.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Imagine how funny it was to me seeing it first hand. I still cannot even think about it without smiling. Bernhard says that he is not feeling better but I believe that he is. He wants my sympathy....heeee. He gave me all of his "details" so some communications to Austria are in my future.

    I am in Cuenca today and will write about it shortly. I hope that life is treating you well.

    ReplyDelete

Countdown to Vacation